~an adventure in music~and a little fashion~

Do you love music?
This is where I post my music. One of my great loves in life. It's something I cannot be without. Carnival is my place to post what I'm listening to. It's really a blog for me, as I have rather eclectic taste in music and don't really expect many others to be right there with me! However, I do love when someone does find something that speaks to them, as has happened. Now that makes me so happy!
And please do take a peek there, just there above, where it says 'Music and Me' to see why I do.

Friday 22 May 2009

The Mucha Dress.

Last week was a week of celebrations in our house which I posted about on Milkmoon.

This feels very indulgent, but since there was a lot of interest about my wedding dress, and thank you for that, I thought you might like to see this most wonderful dress of mine. And it seemed that Carnival was a more appropriate place to show it!


It was designed by me, made by my Mum, and based on the paintings by one of my favourite painters, Alphonse Mucha, whose romantic women seemed to me to be the perfect model for a wedding ideal. 
The bodice was velvet and the dress was cotton with a satin band. Mum dyed the velvet and cotton to get the exact shade I had in mind. The Moon detail was appliqued on and the stars were beaded, and on the satin band on the hem were embroidered and beaded spirals.

As I said in the comments on the original Milkmoon post, I've worn it to my own wedding twice (to the same dear man!), but I think it would take a miracle to fit me into it again!

5 comments:

Lucys Lounge said...

what beautiful dress and what great mam to make it for you. you lucky, lucky thing.

Elaine Prunty said...

Its really gorgeous,
such a refreshing and beautiful change from white, what a cool bride you were.
I bet you €1,000 you could still fit in it.

Unknown said...

It is you that make the dress so beautiful! I've seen pictures of you in it before, but I never knew the actual story behind it and the connection to Mucha. Thanks for sharing that story with us.

Cat said...

I think it is one of the most beautiful wedding dresses I have ever seen!

marta said...

so beautiful and you still are even if you can fit in it after 4 kids and a few years later

it makes me feel so nostalgic, my Dearest Ciara & Jay who changed my life
I remember you so well on that dress posing together in Grangewood a few months after the wedding, looking so beautiful with your orange hair
your love always so inspiring
still today



i love you

xx