~an adventure in music~and a little fashion~

Do you love music?
This is where I post my music. One of my great loves in life. It's something I cannot be without. Carnival is my place to post what I'm listening to. It's really a blog for me, as I have rather eclectic taste in music and don't really expect many others to be right there with me! However, I do love when someone does find something that speaks to them, as has happened. Now that makes me so happy!
And please do take a peek there, just there above, where it says 'Music and Me' to see why I do.

Monday 22 March 2010

Have One On Me.

Please excuse me, I'm about to gush...



Here is a lady I fell in love with the first time I heard her insanely unique voice back in 2004 when her first album The Milk-Eyed Mender came out. I could not believe Joanna Newsom was only 22, so confident and distinct was her sound. Today I cannot recall where I heard of her, but I have a suspicion it was a review in a magazine upon the strength of which I dropped heavy hints to Jay as my birthday was approaching. And bless him he came up with the goods and I have been a huge fan ever since.

Her second album Ys came out two years later and while it didn't have the same impact on me it's still an incredible album.

And now, four years on again she has brought out what I think is her best album to date, Have One On Me. I am completely smitten all over again. And I have to say the four years were not wasted at all, as there is a new maturity to her sound which is stunning.

Even though as a fan it's very annoying, I kind of like the fact that she doesn't have a website, or a myspace site, although there is a plethora of fan ones! And I cannot begin to tell you how ridiculously upset I was that she came as far as London on her European tour and didn't come to Dublin this time...*sniff*

So I'll leave you with this fan video of one of my favourite songs off the album.

Sublime is a word that comes to mind...



1 comment:

Mimi said...

Ok, Joanna Newsom has one more fan! The sound is such easy listening, and the pics aren't half bad either.
Thanks for sharing, Ciara.